Two Exhibits – July 21st – October 27th     

Open Wednesdays, Saturdays & Sundays 2:00-4:00 p.m.

A Stroll Through Suburban Park: Unionville’s Hidden Gem 

As noted in our 1995 look back to 1895 “Suburban Park, 27 planted acres in Unionville Center, opened after a long parade on Memorial Day.  It brought hundreds of couples from the Greater Hartford area to dance in the Hilltop Pavilion, enjoy the first electrically-lighted, colored fountain, ride the carousel, dine in one of its three restaurants, look through the spyglass at Lookout Tower, stroll the flower lined paths and punt or bathe in Park Pond.”   Built by the Hartford Suburban Railway, Suburban Park was in operation in Unionville from 1895 to 1905.  The electrified fountain which ran off the trolley company’s power station was one of the first examples of electricity in use and must have been quite the novelty as everything else in the village was still lit by gas.  Near the end of the trolley line, it was a recreation destination for visitors from Farmington, West Hartford and Hartford.  If you would like to know more about the Park’s history, click here for a look back at Suburban Park as it was in it’s heyday. And yes, you’ll wish it was still operating today.

This exhibit is the culmination of an Eagle Scout project conducted by Timothy Germano.  Timothy rallied over 40 volunteers and led a huge effort to improve the park trails.  He also arranged for new markers containing detailed information about the Park’s history which were placed throughout the Park this past spring.   For more information on Timothy’s project, visit his Suburban Park Facebook page. Our exhibit displays photographs and objects illustrating the history of the park and replicas of the new markers recently installed along the Park’s trails.

2019 Farmington Boys Basketball State Champions:  an Historic win for a Community that Believed

This portion of the exhibit honors the Farmington High School Boys Basketball team that won an amazing victory this past March, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) Boys Basketball Tournament Championship.  Farmington played in a state championship game in 1939 but unfortunately didn’t bring home the win making this a first ever victory.

We are happy to have the opportunity to honor the team in this interactive exhibit.  The exhibit will display their hard won trophy, a player’s uniform and medal and will also include a video and slideshow from the games.  The highlight of the exhibit is sure to be its interactive features which will allow kids (and adults) to measure their “wingspan” against payer Bube Momah’s 7′ “wingspan” and even compare their shoe size against players’ sneakers.

Directions to The Unionville Museum.